SmartOS: The World's Most Advanced OS
OpenSolaris-based SmartOS unites four extraordinary technologies in a production-grade OS container to revolutionize the datacenter:
These technologies are combined into a single high-performance operating system and hypervisor, providing an arbitrarily-observable, highly multi-tenant environment built on a reliable, enterprise-grade storage stack.
Joyent SmartOS provides a combination of hardware and operating system (OS) virtualization to support efficient, reliable and high performing cloud computing.
- Scale. An ultra-lean hypervisor that produces frictionless scale and fast provisioning.
- Trust. The ZFS file system guarantees data integrity and prevent silent data corruption.
- Secure. OS virtualization with highly secure zones, and KVM for legacy apps.
- Reliable. Run from a live image. Impossible to fail upgrades when you can rollback to an earlier image.
- Resilient. Service Management Facility (SMF) recovers faster from system failures. Fair share scheduling, CPU caps, and disk I/O throttling ensures better performance across the Joyent cloud.
- Visibility. DTrace, lets you see everything that's happening throughout the software stack - safely, in real time, in production.
For more information, visit smartos.org.